Sunday, January 15, 2012

Birthday Gift for a Man

This is the first gift I made this year as part of my resolution to make more gifts. 

I really struggled with what to make since it was for a guy, and most of the things I make are feminine.  My brother in law enjoys his last name and they just got married last year, so I thought a "B" mongram refering to their wedding day was a nice choice.  But to make it a little more masculine, I used beer bottle caps to form the B.  The first thing I did was paint an 11x14 canvas camel colored to match their living room.  Next, I modge podged over the whole canvas to seal the paint under the B. Then I laid out the caps in a B shape, and used hot glue to attach them one by one.  I was careful to put the hot glue on the inside of the rim on the bottle cap so no glue would show on the sides.   The next step was to cut their last name and wedding date with my cricut.  I used my design studio software to make it fit across the whole canvas.  The last step was to modge podge over the words, and voila! Done!

To round out his gift, I also etched Bs into 4 shot glasses [this guy really likes his last name :)].  Etching glass is surprising easy.  I use Armour Etch and cut stencils in vinyl with the cricut.  You put the vinyl sticker on the glass you want to etch, paint the Armour Etch on the surface, let it sit, and wipe and clean it off.  Super easy.

And lastly, I made some beer bottle cap magnets for him and a simple birthday card.

Altogether, the wall hanging cost me about $5, the shot glasses about $2, and the magnets and card were about $2 total.  All in all, I spent $9, but I think it looks like it is worth a lot more, which is what I was going for.  His birthday is tomorrow, so we'll see if it is well received.

Until next time, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment